The president told reporters he would present a cease-fire and hostage deal to both sides this week
The leader of Israel's largest union said workers would abide by the ruling, but noted that 'hundreds of thousands of citizens voted with their feet' while the strike lasted
A call by Israel's largest union to paralyze the economy follows night of massive demonstrations, with tens of thousands of protesters taking to the streets in an outpouring of grief and fury over six hostages killed in Gaza
Demonstrators demanding that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu immediately strike a cease-fire deal with Hamas to free everyone still being held in Gaza.
The bodies of six hostages, including Israeli American Hersh Goldberg-Polin, were found in a tunnel in Rafah overnight.
The Israeli prime minister vowed vengeance on Hamas after the bodies of six hostages were recovered from a tunnel in Gaza.
Officials believe the hostages were killed shortly before they were discovered in a tunnel in Rafah by Israeli forces
Concrete slabs and sheet metal were piled high alongside streets in Jenin on Saturday, as residents assessed the damage from Israel's latest West Bank raid even as explosions persisted nearby.
Qaid Farhan Alkadi, 52, was in stable condition and being taken to a hospital to be checked out, the Israel Defense Forces said.
Oil prices rose on Monday after Israel's Air Force struck targets in Lebanon before the Iran-backed group fired more than 320 rockets into Israel.
Both sides said they aimed only at military targets, with an Israeli navy officer, two Hezbollah fighters and an allied militant killed in the bombardments
Top US diplomat Antony Blinken appealed Tuesday to Hamas urgently to accept a ceasefire plan to ease suffering in Gaza but also entered a public spat with Israel as he capped a new round of shuttle diplomacy.
Blinken, on his ninth visit to the Middle East since the Palestinian militant group's October 7 attack triggered the war with Israel, flew to El Alamein, the Mediterranean city famous for a World War II battle, and began talks with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi at his summer palace.
Palestinian groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad on Monday claimed responsibility for a bombing in Tel Aviv, calling it a "suicide operation" and threatening more attacks in Israel as the Gaza war drags on.
Iran on Tuesday rejected Western calls to stand down its threat to retaliate against Israel for the killing of Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran late last month.
Iran could launch a "significant" attack on Israel as soon as this week, the White House said Monday, as US President Joe Biden discussed the crisis with European leaders.
US credit rating agency Fitch downgraded Israel a notch on Monday, warning that its ongoing conflict against Hamas in Gaza could last "well into 2025" and weigh on economic activity.
U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has directed the deployment of a guided-missile submarine to the region.
Hamas on Sunday urged Gaza mediators to implement a truce plan presented by US President Joe Biden instead of holding more talks, as Palestinians fled a new Israeli military operation.
Israel has agreed to resume Gaza ceasefire talks on August 15 at the demand of US, Qatari and Egyptian mediators, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said on Thursday, as regional tensions skyrocket over the war.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in an interview published Thursday that he was "sorry" that Hamas was able to carry out its October 7 attack, without explicitly taking responsibility.
Hamas on Tuesday named Yahya Sinwar, the man Israel says masterminded the October 7 attack that sparked the Gaza war, as its new political chief following last week's killing of his predecessor Ismail Haniyeh. The announcement came with the Middle East on edge as it awaited Iran's retaliation over the killing of Haniyeh in Tehran.